I write this to my fellow covid-19 long haulers whose tissues have healed. I have recovered. I did this by listening to people that have recovered from CFS/ME, not people that are still unwell; and by understanding that our unconscious normal thoughts and feelings influence the symptoms we experience.
Paul Garner, Professor at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. He is Director of the Centre for Evidence Synthesis in Global Health and Co-ordinating Editor of the Cochrane Infectious Diseases Group.
Alles wat Jan bezig houdt, interesseert en irriteert... en ook een beetje onzin...
dinsdag, november 09, 2021
maandag, november 01, 2021
- Learn a couple of new words per day. Don't overdo this. Start small.
- Use Flashcards.
- Use them every day.
- That is it… just 1,2,3….
- From this web address: https://www.jw.org/nl/bibliotheek/boeken/Bestudeer-dagelijks-de-Schrift-2022/
- And an English version for reference here: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/Examining-the-Scriptures-Daily-2022/
- If you found AZW3 files you can skip this, if not:
- Go to https://calibre-ebook.com/download and get whatever version will work on your device.
- Install it.
- Now open the Calibre app. Click on the [Add Books] button and add the EPUB files we downloaded.
- In the top right corner, choose the MOBI or AZW3 format.
- Now, click on the [convert book] button. In the right bottom corner you will see a spinning wheel, signifying the conversion process is working. Click it if you get impatient so you can look at a status-bar instead (mine seemed to be stuck at 47% for a while 🤔) :
- If using Calibre is not for you you van try this instead: Find the location where you saved the English and Dutch ePUB files that we just downloaded, and use upload those files now to the free converter too on this website: https://convertio.co/nl/epub-azw3/ It will give you back AZW3 files for the EPUB's that you uploaded.
- Now our MOBI or AZW3 files are created. Save the files at a location that you can find later.
zondag, oktober 31, 2021
woensdag, oktober 20, 2021
A seventeenth century Jesuit, who constructed his own monument and designed the first(?) ‘auto-mobile’. | The Renaissance Mathematicus
donderdag, oktober 14, 2021
maandag, oktober 11, 2021
What Happened in 1971? Edward Snowden and Jack Dorsey Want to Know - Foundation for Economic Education
woensdag, september 29, 2021
Whatever happens to Sci-Hub or Elbakyan, the fact that such a site exists is something of a tragedy. Sci-Hub currently fills a niche that should never have existed. Like the black-market medicine purchased by people who cannot afford prescription drugs, its very being indicts the official system that created the conditions of its emergence.
zaterdag, september 25, 2021
dinsdag, september 21, 2021
vrijdag, september 10, 2021
For years, oil and gas companies have struggled with the problem of what to do when they accidentally hit a natural gas formation while drilling for oil. Whereas oil can easily be trucked out to a remote destination, gas delivery requires a pipeline.
If a drilling site is right next door to a pipeline, they chuck the gas in and take whatever cash the buyer on the other end is willing to pay that day. "There's no choice. There's no middle finger. Whatever gas comes out that day has to be sold," explained Haby. But if it's 20 miles from a pipeline, things start to get more complicated.
More often than not, the gas well won't be big enough to warrant the time and expense of building an entirely new pipeline. If a driller can't immediately find a way to sell the stash of natural gas, most look to dispose of it on site.
One method is to vent it, which releases methane directly into the air – a poor choice for the environment, as its greenhouse effects are shown to be much stronger than carbon dioxide. A more environmentally friendly option is to flare it, which means actually lighting the gas on fire.
"Chemistry is amazing," explained Adam Ortolf, who heads up business development in the U.S. for Upstream Data, a company that manufactures and supplies portable mining solutions for oil and gas facilities. "When CH4, or methane, combusts, the only exhaust is CO2 and H2O vapor. That's literally the same thing that comes out of my mouth when I exhale," continued Ortolf. But Ortolf points out, flares are only 75 to 90% efficient. "Even with a flare, some of the methane is being vented without being combusted," he said.
This is when on-site bitcoin mining can prove to be especially impactful. When the methane is run into an engine or generator, 100% of the methane is combusted and none of it leaks or vents into the air, according to Ortolf.
Bitcoin makes it economically sustainable for oil and gas companies to combust their methane rather than externally combust it with a flare.
"There is no such thing as stranded gas anymore," said Haby. But Ortolf has taken years to convince people that parking a trailer full of ASICs on an oil and gas field is a smart and financially sound idea.
"In 2018, I got laughed out of the room when I talked about mining bitcoin on flared gas," said Ortolf. "The concept of bringing hydrocarbons to market without a counter-party was laughable." Fast forward three years, and business at Upstream, a company founded by lead engineer Steve Barbour, is booming. It now works with 140 bitcoin mines across North America.
It is also helping to curtail the overall carbon footprint of some of these oil and gas sites. Recent production stats show that in the U.S. alone about 1.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas is wasted on a daily basis. And these are just the reported numbers, so the actual figures are likely higher.
dinsdag, september 07, 2021
donderdag, augustus 26, 2021
dinsdag, juli 20, 2021
dinsdag, juni 29, 2021
For COVID-19 the average age of death is 73, and about half of all deaths are in people 80 or older. While the CDC projected a one-year decrease in life expectancy for the U.S. population, the overall decrease in life expectancy was only five days, and the U.S.'s excess mortality in 2017 was greater than its excess mortality in 2020.
maandag, juni 28, 2021
donderdag, juni 24, 2021
An asset in his role as public intellectual, if possibly a regrettable one for the reception of his work as whole, was Hirschman's persistent, aphoristic habit of elevating deceptively simple, counterintuitive observations as grand principles of the human condition.The most famous of these, the "Principle of the Hiding Hand" (a knowing nod to Adam Smith's invisible hand), states that in large human undertakings—dam construction, say—we tend to underestimate the difficulties involved. This makes us likelier to get going than we otherwise would have been, had we known all the problems in advance. We also underestimate our creativity in solving problems as they arise, which makes us likelier to succeed than a sober assessment might have determined at the outset.
vrijdag, juni 11, 2021
zondag, juni 06, 2021
What this is saying is that we have 18 citations, there are no more actual zoonotic jumps to study, but, you know, "salient questions remain." So let's just take the viruses we have and start studying ways to manipulate them, turning that dial, maybe passing it back and forth between human cells and animal ones, and just see what happens.
Oh play me that Science Game™! Play it as the ship goes down.
zaterdag, mei 29, 2021
It is a good idea to keep in mind that Western people perceive the smile as a sign of a positive approach while Russians necessarily identify the smile with laughter. Western people perceive a smiling person as "happy" and "well-off" person. For Russians happiness and prosperity are not associated with the smile, at least not to the extent they are in the United States. A happy person is not obligated to smile. On the other hand, the smiling man is not necessarily happy or more prosperous than anyone else. Sometimes these states coincide, sometimes not.
donderdag, mei 27, 2021
woensdag, mei 26, 2021
donderdag, mei 20, 2021
maandag, mei 10, 2021
dinsdag, mei 04, 2021
vrijdag, april 30, 2021
woensdag, april 28, 2021
dinsdag, april 27, 2021
dinsdag, april 20, 2021
dinsdag, april 13, 2021
woensdag, maart 24, 2021
Even major medical journals have gone along rather than lead, strongly preferring articles that reinforce the prevailing story. After analyzing 180 studies on hydroxychloroquine, the @CovidAnalysis website concluded: "Studies from North America are 3.8 times more likely to report negative results than studies from the rest of the world combined." This is not random but choice. The Lancet even published a devastating hydroxychloroquine study only to retract it because of fraudulent data.
zondag, maart 07, 2021
donderdag, februari 11, 2021
zaterdag, februari 06, 2021
woensdag, februari 03, 2021
maandag, februari 01, 2021
In de winter van (2017/2018) was de sterfte 15 weken lang verhoogd (week 51 2017 t/m 14 2018). De verhoogde sterfte viel samen met de griepepidemie die plaatsvond van week 50 2017 tot en met week 15 2018. De oversterfte tijdens de 18 weken griepepidemie werd geschat op 9.444 (8.885 voor de gehele winter periode van week 40 t/m 20). Hiermee was de oversterfte het hoogst ooit gemeten sinds het begin van de monitoring in 2009. De oversterfte betrof voornamelijk mensen van 75 jaar en ouder, maar er waren ook enkele weken waarin de sterfte verhoogd was in mensen tussen de 55-64 jaar en 65-74 jaar.
children and adults at high risk may develop complications that may include:
- Asthma flare-ups
- Heart problems
- Ear infections
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
- Moeten we niet ieder jaar iedere winter in lockdown? Er is immers iedere winter wel een griep golf (influenza) gaande. Of is sterven aan de griep "minder erg" dan sterven aan Corona?
- Als we nu 50 miljard euro willen uitgeven om enkele levens te redden, waarom stoppen we dat geld niet in betere doelen, zoals meer anti roken campagnes, of gezonder eten, of iedere Nederlander een levenslang sportschool abonnement?
- Door iedereen, ook gezonde en jonge mensen, te dwingen in lockdown te gaan ontneem je ze de kans om op normale natuurlijke manier weerstand op te bouwen. Dat moet je dan weer compenseren op "synthetische" manieren, zoals met inentingen. Is dat niet uiterst tijd en geld inefficiënt?
- Nog los van het feit dat sommige Corona vaccins op nieuwe manieren worden gemaakt die überhaupt verder nog niet getest zijn en mogelijk bijwerkingen hebben die erger zijn dan de kwaal. 
- Hoe ethisch is het iedereen te dwingen in lockdown te gaan om een paar ouderen te redden? En daarmee ook onze economie en emotionele gezondheid te schaden?
dinsdag, januari 26, 2021
zaterdag, januari 23, 2021
vrijdag, januari 22, 2021
donderdag, januari 21, 2021
A new study of 1,733 Covid-19 patients who were discharged from a hospital in Wuhan, China, the original epicenter of the pandemic, suggests that three-quarters of those patients had at least one symptom, like fatigue, muscle weakness or diminished lung function, after six months. And it is not just the severely ill who suffer. A U.S. study showed that symptoms even persisted among some people with mild cases, including young adults.